[LLVMdev] Hi, people, I propose to move Debug and Object File related headers out of Support

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 28 12:09:38 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Going to be interesting layering issues if you do the latter. Then you
> have CodeGen depending upon DebugInfo instead of just a header in
> Support.

Well, the issue is that LLVM's "libraries" are really not fine grained due
to our build system/source tree layout, so we end up just glomming together
large pieces of (sometimes vaguely) related functionality into "libraries",
which are the units of physical dependency. Realistically, Support/ELF.h is
a fine piece of independent functionality that should be independently
reusable, but we don't have effective tools for managing and maintaining
proper physical dependencies to make that happen.

There are actually a bunch of things in Support that I wish could be
independently reused. Like if I want to write up a little program, I really
wish I could do

$ llpm install StringRef ArrayRef raw_ostream MemoryBuffer

and then have it put those relevant modules and their dependencies in a
local `deps/` (or whatever) directory so that I can then just include them
in my build.

-- Sean Silva