[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.3 dot releases

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon Jun 24 09:08:10 PDT 2013

Hi,

A few months ago, I mentioned I was interested in helping to make dot
releases for LLVM 3.3.  Now that 3.3 has been released, I would like
to kick off the process of collecting bug fixes and merging them into the
3.3 branch.

I reviewed the previous discussion about dot releases:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-April/060821.html
and I've come up with the following dot release 'rules':

+ Dot releases will follow the same procedure as major releases, which
  means stable patches must be approved by the appropriate code owner and
  that dot releases will have the same testing and qualification requirements.

+ No regressions.  If a patch to the stable branch introduces a regression
  that cannot be fixed, it will be reverted.

+ Participation from developers is optional.  If developers don't have
  time to help with issues in the stable branch, they do not have to.

I'm sure we'll need to amend or add to these rules as we work through the
dot release process, but I think this list is a good starting point.
So, with these rules in mind, I would like to volunteer for to be the release
manager for the 3.3 dot releases, which means I would be responsible
for overseeing the release process and also making commits the 3.3 branch.

I'll just throw it out there that we should aim for a dot release in two
months.  I don't want to set anything in stone, though, because I think
that we may want to adjust this depending on how much activity there is
in the stable branch.

What I'm asking for now from the LLVM community now is:

+ Approval to commit patches to the 3.3 stable branch (This is really
  a question for Chris).

+ Individual contributors who are interested in helping with dot
  releases in any way.

+ Contacts from projects that use LLVM and are interested in
  coordinating their releases with LLVM dot releases.

I'm looking forward to working with the community and making LLVM dot
releases a success!  Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

- Tom