[LLVMdev] LLVM+Clang 3.3: clang: for the -vectorize-loops option: may only occur zero or one times!

Alan Garny agarny at hellix.com
Thu Jun 20 06:07:33 PDT 2013

Hi,

My application generates some C code which I then compile using LLVM+Clang
before running it. For the compilation side of things, I have a class which
one of the methods (the CompilerEngine::compileCode() method in
https://raw.github.com/opencor/opencor/llvm_3.3/src/plugins/misc/Compiler/sr
c/compilerengine.cpp) is based on the code from the clang-interpreter
example
(http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/examples/clang-interpreter/ma
in.cpp?view=co). The idea is therefore to create an instance of the
'compiler' class and, among other things, use its compileCode() whenever
needed.

All of this works perfectly fine using LLVM+Clang 3.2, but not with
LLVM+Clang 3.3. At least, not out of the box. Basically, the first time I
try to compile some C code, everything is fine. However, if I try to compile
some other C code, then I will get the following error message:

clang: for the -vectorize-loops option: may only occur zero or one times!

FWIW, I use the -O3 option which I understand makes implicit use of the loop
vectorizer, and that seems to be the problem. Indeed, if I disable the loop
vectorizer (using the -fno-vectorize option), then everything is fine but I
clearly don't want to have to do that. So, right now, my solution consists
of commenting out the test for the number of option occurrences in the
Option::addOccurrence() method
(http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/lib/Support/CommandLine.cpp?
view=co), but it is clearly not satisfactory either (even though it's good
enough for my particular purpose).

So, would anyone have any idea about what I might be missing, if
anything?...

Cheers, Alan.