[LLVMdev] NEON vector instructions and the fast math IR flags

David Tweed David.Tweed at arm.com
Mon Jun 10 01:56:35 PDT 2013

| For programs that have mixed precision requirements for floating point
| operations we probably need to do this according to the fast math flags.
| Until we get there, a good first step would probably be to provide a
| global option similar to -enable-no-infs-fp-math that specifies if
| denormals should be allowed or not. This would allow the user to specify
| the precision requirements, without the need to alter with the feature
| flags of a specific piece of hardware.

Hi, sorry for coming in late on this. Firstly, I think what you mean is "if denormals should be required to be preserved or not". (Apart from anything else it's possible to move data between standard CPU, SIMD CPU and GPU so that even if one part of the system flushes them to zero when they occur can show up in other parts.) Clearly this implies that you can't use NEON instructions since they are specified not to preserve denormals.

Secondly, I think it would be helpful to at least try to map out which "optimizations" are going to be viewed by a per-instruction IR flag just in order to get a clearer idea if the global stuff is the right model. (Amongst other things, I'm interested in DSLs where the likelihood of knowing something about the "ideal requirements" for operations that will be transformed into LLVM IR is higher than for manually written C/Fortran.)

Cheers,
Dave

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.