[LLVMdev] NEON vector instructions and the fast math IR flags

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Jun 7 01:14:30 PDT 2013

On 7 June 2013 08:48, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:

> When to set which subtarget feature is a policy decision, where I honestly
> don't have any opinion on for clang. The best is probably to mirror the gcc
> behavior on linux targets.

Not really, since GCC has no special behaviour for Darwin, AFAIK.

My change will only generate SP-FP on NEON for A5 and A8 and only if it's
Darwin or UnsafeMath is on, which seems not to be the case for you, so I
don't think the problem is in that area. It's possible that some passes are
not consulting that flag when generating NEON SP-FP. If that's true, this
is definitely a bug.

When I changed that, for VMUL.f32, it worked (ie. generated VFP
instruction), but it might not be taking the same path your code is.

I just looked again at the +neonfp flag. Compiling with and without +neonfp
> flag seems to only affect scalar types in the attached test case. If e.g.
> the LLVM vectorizer introduces vector instructions on LLVM-IR level
> floating point vectors still yield NEON assembly even if compiled with
> "-mattr=+neon,-neonfp". Is this expected?

No, vectorizers should honour FP contracts. This is probably a bug, too.

Please, fill both bugs on bugzilla, attaching the relevant IR to each one
and a way to reproduce, and I'll have a look at them.

cheers,
--renato