[LLVMdev] Gold plugin: emit LLVM after LTO?

Jonas Wagner jonas.wagner at epfl.ch
Tue Jun 4 12:36:39 PDT 2013

> The Apple ld (shipped with Xcode, open-source) saves the 3 files if

>  > -save-temps is applied:
> >   - xxx.lto.bc : the merged bit-code before IPA
> >   - xxx.lto.opt.bc: the optimized bit-code of the *.lto.bc
> >   - xxx.lto.o : the object file of xxx.lto.bc
> >
> > I think it is better way to go, often time we need IR both after and
> after
> > the transformation.
>
> Agreed. Jonas, would it work for you if the also-emit-llvm option did this?

Certainly! I think this is an idea that would satisfy the needs of most
people.

The question remains how to name this option. If it is called
also-emit-llvm, I would expect to yield xxx.lto.opt.bc, i.e., the LLVM
corresponding to the regular linker output. If the option is called
-save-temps, it should give me all the intermediate files as explained by
Shuxin Yang.

Cheers,
Jonas