[LLVMdev] Gold plugin: emit LLVM after LTO?

Jonas Wagner jonas.wagner at epfl.ch
Tue Jun 4 01:23:02 PDT 2013

Hi,

I often use the gold plugin's also-emit-llvm option to verify the final
LLVM bitcode of a program. However, I realized that the gold plugin
generates the bitcode file before running LTO optimizations, such that the
changes performed by LTO are not reflected in the bitcode file.

What is the reason for this behavior?

Attached is a patch that would swap the order of the two actions, and cause
the bitcode file to be emitted after link time optimization. What do people
think about this?

Best,
Jonas