[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] MSVC++ ABI compatibility is not a Windows requirement

João Matos ripzonetriton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:21:05 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:

>  * To understand why they chose to work on MS C++ ABI compatibility
>    instead of other most basic missing features that preclude using
>    Clang for serious C++ development. I'll be grateful if anyone
>    involved on the MS C++ ABI comments on this (it was already mentioned
>    that Wine is interested on that feature, but I don't understand why.)

Clang is also being increasingly used by tools and having proper MSVC C++
ABI support is very valuable for extracting all kinds of information for
interop purposes (record layouts, vftable layouts, mangling, etc).

>  * To ensure that everybody knows that supporting the MS C++ ABI is not
>    required at all for being a Windows compiler.

It is if you need to use closed source libraries from vendors that only
publish MSVC builds.

--
João Matos