[LLVMdev] Proposing a new 'alloca' parameter attribute to implement the Microsoft C++ ABI

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jul 31 10:33:52 PDT 2013

On Jul 31, 2013 10:16 AM, "Stephen Lin" <swlin at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Oh, well, I don't actually have any objection to the patch (I'm not
> sure if Oscar does) or work in this direction. (So apologies for
> hijacking, it's just I wanted to back up the sentiment that Oscar
> expressed initially.)
>
> I'm honestly just trying to understand why the engineering focus is
> where it is, and wonders if anyone has put any thought into supporting
> our own (or possibly someone else's, if it's documented) C++ ABI on
> Windows, as a either a subgoal or parallel goal of full MSVC C++ ABI
> implementation. As I said before, something like that wouldn't just be
> a stop gap, it would provide real benefits on its own.

Thia patch and the others currently under development seem clearly aimed at
compatibility
If you or others are interested in something else then mail the patches. I
don't think any of this precludes the other.

> I'll stop hijacking this thread for that, though, sorry.

If you're around I think several of us will be at the social tomorrow.
Always a good place to have such discussions.

> Stephen
>
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> > This thread is odd to me. It seems that the gist of your guys' argument
is that you don't know if we will ever get full support, therefore we don't
welcome progress towards that (very useful) goal/feature.

> > If the specific proposal doesn't make make sense from a design
standpoint, that's one thing, but saying we shouldn't take it because of
licensing issues with MFC or because it is harmful to be partially (but not
fully) compatible with MSVC seems just weird to me.