[LLVMdev] [PROPOSAL] ELF safe/unsafe sections

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jul 30 17:41:37 PDT 2013

I've not been following this thread at all. However, skimming the original
post, I fail to find a nice summary of what problem is trying to be solved.

By reading the rest of the thread I divine that the goal is faster links
and better dead code stripping?

Making that clearer would help. Naming your sections something other than
"safe" (which has *very* different connotations) would help more.

However, I question several fundamental assumptions:
1) We should be very certain that -ffunction-sections is not a viable
solution as it exists and is well supported in other toolchains and
environments.

2) We should talk to other ELF producers and coordinate to make sure we
don't end up creating a twisty maze of extensions here.

3) We should step back and consider leapfrogging to a fully specialized
format to reap even more performance benefits rather than messily patching
ELF.

#3 may prove irrelevant if this is the only major hurdle for speeding up
ELF links. My impression was otherwise.

#2 hasn't been done by the other ELF producers, but we should strive to do
better.

#1 can be solved via science.