[LLVMdev] IR Passes and TargetTransformInfo: Straw Man

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Tue Jul 30 10:41:25 PDT 2013

On Jul 30, 2013, at 7:35 AM, Krzysztof Parzyszek <kparzysz at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Say that we have a loop that performs several computations, some of which may be amenable to more aggressive optimizations:
>
>  for (i) {
>    v = 1.0/(1.0 + A[i]*A[i]);
>    B[i] = (1.0 - B[i])*v
>  }
>
> Suppose that we have a hardware that can perform very fast FMA operations (possibly vectorized).  We could transform the loop into
>
>  for (i) {
>    t = 1.0 + A[i]*A[i];
>    v = 1.0/t;
>    B[i] = (1.0 - B[i])*v;
>  }
>
> And then expand t into an array, and distribute the loop:
>
>  for (i) {
>    t[i] = 1.0 + A[i]*A[i];
>  }
>  for (i) {
>    v = 1.0/t[i];
>    B[i] = (1.0 - B[i])*v;
>  }
>
> The first loop may then be unrolled and vectorized, while the second one may simply be left alone.
>
> This may be difficult to address in a target-independent way (via a generic TTI interface), since we are trying to identify a specific pattern that, for the specific hardware, may be worth extracting out of a more complex loop.  In addition to that, for this example to make sense, the vectorization passes would have to run afterwards, which would then put a bound on how late this transformation could be done.
>
> I guess the approach of being able to extend/modify what the PMB creates, that you mention below, would address this problem.
>

>> I think you're only worried about the impact on loop nest optimizations. Admittedly I'm not making much concessesion for that, because I think of loop nest optimization as a different tool that will probably want fairly substantial changes to the pass pipeline anyway.
>
> Yes, I agree.  My major concern is that we need to be careful that we don't accidentally make things harder for ourselves.  I very much agree with the canonicalization approach, and loop nests can take a bit of preparation (even including loop distribution).  At the same time, there are other optimizations that will destroy the canonical structures (of loops, loop nests, etc.), that also need to take place at some point. There should be a place in the optimization sequence, where the "destructive" optimizations have not yet taken place, and where the "constructive" (canonical) passes can be executed.  The farther down the optimization stream we push the "destructive" ones, the more flexibility we will have as to what types of transformations can be done that require the code to be in a canonical form.

Thanks Krysztof. I appreciate your input and examples. It’s difficult to balance things like Unswitching and LICM that clearly need to run early to expose scalar opts, but in some sense are destructive. I agree with Shuxin’s analysis that these transformations can be reversed if the effort is made. Those developing experimental LNO tools can use any of the mechanisms described below to work around it.

>> Here's a few of ways it might work:
>> (1) Loop nest optimizer extends the standard PMB by plugging in its own passes prior to Generic Loop Opts in addition to loading TTI. The loop nest optimizer's passes are free to query TTI:
>>
>> (2) Loop nest optimizer suppresses generic loop opts through a PMB flag (assuming they are too disruptive). It registers its own loop passes with the Target Loop Opts. It registers instances of generic loop opts to now run after loop nest optimization, and registers new instances of scalar opts to rerun after Target Loop Opts if needed.
>>
>> (3) If the loop nest optimizer were part of llvm core libs, then we could have a completely separate passmanager builder for it.
>
> All of these approaches would work (even concurrently).  I think (3) could potentially be the future goal.
>

>> Are you afraid that LICM and unswitching will obfuscate the loops to the point that you can’t recognize the idiom? The current pass pipeline would have the same problem.
>
> Actually, in this case my concern was the interleaving of the target-dependent code with target-independent code (if we were to do all idiom recognition in the same pass), or code duplication (if the target-independent and target-dependent passes were to be separate). The more I think about it, the more I favor the "separate" approach, since the target-specific idioms may be very different for different targets, and there doesn't seem to be much that can be handled in a common code (hence not a lot of actual duplication would happen).

I think we may want to run some generic loop idiom recognition early (MemCpy/MemSet) because it may aid subsequent analysis. Shuxin described this as a kind of “IR promotion” which is a good way to look at it.

However, targets do want to plugin custom idioms and I think those can run later, separately.

To deal with pass ordering problems introduced by target-specific opts, targets should be able to rerun generic passes if it’s worth the compile time. There are a couple things we should improve to make this more practical:

- The generic, canonicalization passes should be able to run in a mode that limits transformations to those that are locally profitable. We don’t want to canonicalize late and defeat earlier optimizations.
- We should expose more generic optimizations as utilities that can run on-demand for a given block or loop (GVN, LICM).

-Andy