[LLVMdev] Ideal way to build llvm and friends?

shea at shealevy.com shea at shealevy.com
Fri Jul 26 22:10:15 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm a maintainer for the llvm ecosystem for nixpkgs[1]. Currently only
clang and llvm are up-to-date, but I'd like to move to building all of
the packages listed on the release page for the latest version (and in
particular, have libc++ and compiler RT integrated in with llvm/clang).
Right now we're using the CMake build, with llvm and clang being built
as separate packages. Due to a quirk in our package manager that's no
longer an issue, having them be built together was previously not a good
option.

I'd like to revamp this to do this the "official" way, but I'm not
really sure what that is. CMake or autotools? Is it best to build
everything as a single big build (putting clang, lld, lldb and polly in
the "tools" subdir and everything else in projects)? Or should I build
them all separately? I see libc++ is purposefully excluded from
projects/CMakeLists.txt and compiler-rt is built differently from all
other projects, why is that? Where does libc++abi fit in with all of
this (it's not on the release page)? In general it seems like there are
a lot of options and the documentation is not up-to-date everywhere, so
I'm a bit lost.

Note that while building from SVN is an option if it's really
important, ideally we only want released packages, optionally with small
patches where needed.

Thanks,
Shea

[1]: http://nixos.org/nixpkgs/