[LLVMdev] [RFC] Switching make check to use 'set -o pipefail'

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Jul 26 14:17:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ok, here is a strong LGTM. =]
> >
> > Please make the change, and do the following things to aid out-of-tree
> > maintainers:
> >
> > 1) Add a flag to lit and an option to configure/make (I don't care about
> > CMake here as that is much less frequently used for out-of-tree work) to
> > disable pipefail.
> >

> I have just fixed the last failures on windows. I have also added
> documentation and the support for disabling pipefail in a directory.
> The one thing I have not implemented yet is the configure change.
>
> The reason is that after thinking a bit about it it looks like
> something we don't want to have. What we want to provide is an easy
> way for people doing out of tree work to get their tests passing after
> an upgrade. We do want upstream tests to fail for them if they, for
> example, break opt so that it crashes on exit. This is exactly what
> the lit.local.cfg provides.

I can see your argument here and am fine with it on further thought. Thanks.

> A new patch is attached. What do you think?

Looks good. I might add in the release notes a quick "paste the following
into a lit.local.cfg file in your test subtree to turn this off if you need
to" bit? I'm just trying to avoid grumbling by giving a recipe for ignoring
this change on old out-of-tree targets that aren't likely to be updated to
test correctly.

> > Also, please send a note (in a new thread) to llvmdev when the switch is
> > flipped with a reminder about how to disable the new behavior for folks
> that
> > can't update their test suite. You'll probably want to flip the switch
> when
> > you have time to track down lots of build bot failures. =D
>
> OK.

If you can give the recipe in th erelease notes, I'd paste it into the
email as well.

Thanks for working on this.