[LLVMdev] Does nounwind have semantics?

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Thu Jul 25 02:10:35 PDT 2013

Kuperstein, Michael M wrote:
> A patch is attached.

+    const CallInst* CI = dyn_cast<CallInst>(Inst);
+    return CI->isSafeToSpeculativelyExecute();

"return cast<CallInst>(Inst)->isSafeToSpeculativelyExecute();"?

Use cast<> instead of dyn_cast<>. See
http://llvm.org/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#isa . Then I don't think it
needs to be two lines. You can even remove the extra curly braces around
this case.

> Not sure I’m happy with this due to the aforementioned orthogonality
> concerns, but I really don’t have any better ideas. If anyone does, feel
> free to offer them, I don’t mind throwing this patch into the trash.
>
> (Also, not happy with the name, using “speculatable” as Nick suggested,
> for the lack of other options. If the name stays I’ll add it to the
> documentation.)

That reminds me, the patch needs to come with an update to LangRef.rst.

> Regarding auditing the intrinsics – I’d prefer to do this in stages.

Sounds fine. I'd like Eric to take a quick look and agree that marking
debug intrinsics speculatable is sane. (Yes they already are, but that
doesn't mean it's sane. I also want Eric to know that 'speculatable' is
going to start showing up in his debug info.)

One other thing, your patch and Tobias Grosser's patch (subject "Make
.bc en/decoding of AttrKind stable") are in conflict. Whoever lands
second will need to merge.

Nick