[LLVMdev] ubuntu on the mac

Tyler Hardin tghardin1 at catamount.wcu.edu
Wed Jul 24 00:47:47 PDT 2013

On Jul 24, 2013 2:52 AM, "Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote:

> Do your LLVM development on Mac OS X :)
Should work well. Apple is one of the bigger supporters of LLVM, so I'd
hope OS X would be a suitable dev platform.

> It depends on what your needs are. Using VirtualBox will probably be the
easiest. It also allows you to run both Mac OS X and Ubuntu simultaneously.
The downside is that it will be slower than running Ubuntu natively.

> I say, try running in VirtualBox first.
Not much slower. VBox does an amazing job at getting near native
performance on modern machines (those with nested paging etc.). This is
definitely the best option if your computer has ~2g ram and 2+ cores. Give
the Ubuntu VM 2g and 1 (maybe 2) core/s and it should be fine.

Also, look into seamless mode. It lets you use windows opened in the VM in
the host OS. That sounds vague. Just Google it.