[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Host compiler requirements: Dropping VS 2008, using C++11?

Wang Qi wqking at outlook.com
Tue Jul 23 19:17:02 PDT 2013

-1.

I believe there are still a lot of people using VC 2008, though I can't give the data.
VC 2008 (even the express version) is enough for a lot of development, such like game development.

Most likely I myself will continue using VC 2008 for at least two or more years.

Unlike other C++ compiler, **Clang is not only a compiler, but also a great open source library**. An open source library should better keep lowest compiler/platform requirements, when possible.

Also, seems Microsoft's development tools have quite long life and can spread into many years. For example, VC6 is not complete dead up to today... (some time ago I read on Reddit comment that somebody still needs to maintain a code base written with VC6).