[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Host compiler requirements: Dropping VS 2008, using C++11?

Francois Pichet pichet2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:53:29 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Wang Qi <wqking at outlook.com> wrote:

> -1.
>
> I believe there are still a lot of people using VC 2008, though I can't
> give the data.
> VC 2008 (even the express version) is enough for a lot of development,
> such like game development.
>
> Most likely I myself will continue using VC 2008 for at least two or more
> years.

ok but clang/llvm need to move forward too. VC 2008 is 5 years old now.
MSVC express edition is free and can be used to develop LLVM/CLANG so there
is no excuse ($$$ or license) to not update to a more recent edition.

Personally I think we should support the current and the last previous
version of MSVC.