[LLVMdev] Build Clang and LLVM on Win 8

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Jul 21 18:38:46 PDT 2013

Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> writes:

> My initial impression was that still probably nobody uses python 3, so it's
> not worth adding support that will break.  But if users actually have
> python 3, maybe it's worth it.

I think that on this case the problem was not people who actually have
python 3, but people who see Python as a requirement for building LLVM
and go to python.org and download the "most recent" version, i.e. python
3, because they are unaware of the incompatibilities. Believe it or not,
there are developers who don't know about the Python mess :-)

If adding support for version 3 is problematic, a check that gives a
helpful message would be a good start. If it can't be implemented on the
python scripts, it could be implemented on the cmake/configure scripts.

BTW, http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html mentions Python as a
requirement for the automated test suite (not for the build.) Says
version >=2.4. A user reading that would assume that version 3.X is ok,
or no Python at all if he only wishes to play with LLVM.