[LLVMdev] About LLVM switch instruction

Hongbin Zheng etherzhhb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 23:58:21 PDT 2013

Hi Milind,

My suggestion just for your concern that if you eliminate the default
block, a block associated with a case value will become the default block
of the swhich instruction, since a switch instruction always requires a
default block.
But when a block associated with a case value become the default block, the
associated case value is lost and may confuse the later optimizations such
as constant propagation.

To prevent such information lost when you eliminate the default block and
make a block associated with a case value will become the default block,
you can attach a metadata[1] to the switch instruction to provide the case
value of the default block.

In order to take the advantage of the attached metadata for the default
case of the switch instruction you also need to modify the later
optimization accordingly.

Thanks
Hongbin

[1]http://blog.llvm.org/2010/04/extensible-metadata-in-llvm-ir.html