[LLVMdev] About LLVM switch instruction

Milind Chabbi Milind.Chabbi at rice.edu
Wed Jul 17 22:09:37 PDT 2013

Hi Mark,

This will workaround the problem of "default" branch restriction on
the switch instruction. The trouble with this technique is that it
will trump later optimization phases such as constant propagation.
When a block was part of a case, because of the knowledge of the case
value, the block was a candidate for better optimization. However,
when we move the body of the case into the default, the knowledge of
the case value is lost and the body is less optimizable.

-Milind