[LLVMdev] [Proposal] Parallelize post-IPO stage.

Shuxin Yang shuxin.llvm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 16:07:05 PDT 2013

On 7/16/13 3:32 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
> On 12 July 2013 15:49, Shuxin Yang <shuxin.llvm at gmail.com
> <mailto:shuxin.llvm at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, There:
>
>       This is the proposal for parallelizing post-ipo stage. See the
>     following for details.
>
>       I also attach a toy-grade rudimentary implementation. This
>     implementation can be
>     used to illustrate some concepts here. This patch is not going to
>     be committed.
>
>       Unfortunately, this weekend I will be too busy to read emails.
>     Please do not construe
>     delayed response as being rude :-).
>
>     Thanks a lot in advance for your time insightful comments!
>
>     Shuxin
>

>     The proposal
>     ------------
>       It is organized as following:
>        1) background info, if you heard "/usr/bin/ls", please skip it
>        2) the motivation of parallelize post-IPO stage
>        3) how to parallelize post-IPO
>        4) the linker problems.
>        5) the toy-grade rudimentary implementation
>        6) misc
>
>     1.Some background
>     ------------------
>
>       The Interprocedural-optimization compilation, aka IPO or IPA,
>     typically
>     consists of three stages:
>
>       S1) pre-IPO
>         Each function goes through some analysis and
>     not-very-aggressive optimizations.
>         Some information is collected during this stage, this info
>     will be to IPO stages.
>         This info is usually called summary info.
>
>         The result of this stage is "fake-objects" which is binary
>     files using
>         some known object format to encapsulate IR as well as summary
>     info along with
>         other stuff.
>
>       S2) IPO:
>         Compiler works with linker to resolve and merge symbols in the
>     "fake-objects"
>
>         Then Interprocedural analyses (IPA) are invoked to perform
>     interprocedural
>         analysis either based on the summary-info, or directly on the IR.
>
>         Interprocedural optimizations (IPO) are called based on the
>     IPA result.
>
>         In some compilers, IPA and IPO are separated. One reason is
>     that many IPAs can
>         be directly conduct on the concise summary info, while many
>     IPOs need to load
>         IRs and bulky annotation/metadata into memory.
>
>       S3) post-IPO:
>         Typically consist of Loop-Nest-Opt, Scalar Opt, Code-Gen etc
>     etc. While they
>         are intra-procedural analyses/optimizers, they may directly
>     benefit from
>         the info collected in the IPO stages and pass down the road.
>
>       LLVM collectively call S2 and S3 as "LTO CodeGen", which is very
>     confusing.
>
>     2. Why parallelize post-IPO stage
>     ==============================
>
>       R1) To improve the scalarbility
> [...]

    Thank you for sharing your enlightening thoughts.  I heard some
ideas before, some are quite new to me.
I will take this into account as the project move on.

    The motivation of this project is not merely to make compilation
faster. It is also to:
    - significantly ease trouble shooting -- I was asked to fix LTO bugs
for several times,
       it almost drive me mad to pin-point the bug in a huge merged
module. It is definitely an
      unglamorous and painstaking undertaking:-)

   -  this is one step toward better scalability.

   For now, I don't want to parallelize CodeGen only, as post-IPO scalar
opt is compile-time hogging as well.
On the other,  HPC folks may invoke Loop-Nest-Opt/autopar/etc/ in the
post-IPO stage as well,  those intrinsically
very slow breeds.  So parallelize the entire post-IPO stage will make
them happy.  Finer-grained parallelism
could be promising, however, it is too error-prone:-).