[LLVMdev] Regarding scope information for variable declaration.

Pankaj Gode godepankaj at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 23:32:41 PDT 2013

Hi Eric,
 I was considering machine instructions to get scope information. And variable declaration does not correspond to machine instruction, hence the problem i.e. no scope associated with it.
If 'i' is initialized in the 'if-scope' then we get 'variable i' mapped to correct scope as corresponding machine instruction is generated for this.
This is not a problem as we can't expect variable declaration in a machine instruction, I thought.

I had written code to collect scope information based on LLVM Instructions.
I did this by iterating over 'Function->BasicBlock' instead of 'MachineFunction->MachineBasicBlock'.
const Function *F1 =  MF->getFunction();
for(Function::const_iterator BB = F1->begin(), E = F1->end();
                                BB != E; ++BB)
  {
     for(BasicBlock::const_iterator ii = BB->begin(), ie = BB->end();
        ii != ie; ++ii)
     {
        const Instruction *I = ii;  //I->dump();//debug
        DebugLoc MIDB = I->getDebugLoc();
      }
   }
Though this is an overhead as scope information exists,
but I need to collect specific information such as 'start line, end line, start column, end column'
(End line information should be derived as is not obvious).
Collecting information this way allowed me to get correct scope information,
and hence I was able to map the variable declaration to the scope. It worked for me this way.

Regards,
Pankaj