[LLVMdev] Script for stressing llc

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Jul 10 21:19:39 PDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

> The only precedent I have seen in recent years for shell scripts is
> the (absolutely insanely amazingly well-written)
> utils/TableGen/tdtags.
>

> Ignoring the issue of whether this kind of tool belongs in the repo,

Ah, but do you have an opinion on that?

> IMO it would be nice if you used tdtags as a "template" for this
> script; there's a large amount of shell-fu (not clever "tricks", but
> actual "how to make a robust, readable, portable shell script"-fu)
> in there that you will want to imitate.

Sounds good. I'll look at it.

> > LLVMHOME=/home/projects/llvm/upstream/llvm-trunk-build/Release+Asserts/bin
> > SOPTS="-generate-ppc-fp128"
> > TOPTS="-mtriple=powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu -mcpu=pwr7"
>

> Hardcoding these seems a bit "wrong". Are there any reasonable
> defaults we can use? ((pwd, empty, host triple) for the three
> options, respectively, might be reasonable?).

Sure ;) -- I did not mean to imply that I would commit them that way (although all of these things can be overridden using the command-line arguments). I think that (`pwd`, empty, empty) would make reasonable defaults.

Thanks again,
Hal