[LLVMdev] Status of support in dwarf4

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 12:45:47 PDT 2013

> I've built the llvm-dwarfdump tool from the 3.3 branch and ran it on simple
> binary compiled with dwarf4 debug information.
>

> The tool seem to read the file correctly including dwarf information
> (DIContext::getDWARFContext returns a valid context), but when trying to
> access line information, all I get is "<invalid>" string for the file name
> and 0's for line and column information.
>

> I've seen that there was a talk in the recent Europoe lldb-dev meeting but
> couldn't figure out the current status from the slides.
>

> Am I missing something or there still no support for parsing dwarf4 info?

You're missing something. Basically there is some support for parsing
it in llvm-dwarfdump, but that tool is largely used for testing the
code emission of llvm and clang. If there's something missing/needed
we've been adding it as we go along. Line information is one of those
that needs to be added.

llvm support of dwarf4 itself is pretty decent with just a few
features of dwarf4 that aren't used.

-eric