[LLVMdev] LoopVectorizer in OpenCL C work group autovectorization

Ralf Karrenberg Chareos at gmx.de
Thu Jan 31 07:44:47 PST 2013

Hi Pekka, hi Nadav,

I didn't find the time to read this thread until now, sorry for that.

I actually think you are both right :).
As for the current status, the loop vectorizer is only able to vectorize
inner loops and (I think) does not handle function calls and memory
operations well. This will prevent it from vectorizing a large group of
OpenCL kernels, and certainly all "interesting", more complex ones.
However, in the long run, I think the only difference between WFV-like
approaches and classic loop vectorization a la LoopVectorizer in an
OpenCL context is the following:
WFV assumes that there is at least one outer loop that has increments of
one, runs a multiple of the SIMD width iterations, and that every
iteration is independent (barriers can be handled by the OpenCL driver
*after* WFV).

On the other hand, LoopVectorizer may not be aimed at covering all kinds
of code inside the body and/or instead focus more on things not required
by WFV, such as handling reductions and other kinds of loop-carried
dependencies.

In any case, since our own OpenCL driver is more of a proof-of-concept
implementation and not very robust, I'd be willing to give it a try to
integrate the current libWFV into pocl. This should boost performance
quite a bit for many kernels without too much effort ;). I just don't
know (yet) where to start - can you give me a hint, Pekka?

Cheers,
Ralf