[LLVMdev] Dropped support for IR-level extended linking support (archives, etc.)

Chris Cadwallader ccadwallader at arxan.com
Tue Jan 29 11:31:20 PST 2013

r172749 removed Linker/LinkArchives.cpp and Linker/LinkItems.cpp citing:

This code is dead, and the "right" way to get this support is to use the
   platform-specific linker-integrated LTO mechanisms, or the forthcoming LLVM
   linker.

Could someone please expand on what the "right way" is and these LTO mechanisms or where I can find further information? We used several functions in LinkItems.cpp to create a single bitcode module prior to processing.

Thanks,
Chris