[LLVMdev] Running a Local Buildbot

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Jan 28 12:42:21 PST 2013

On 28 January 2013 19:17, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr at gmail.com> wrote:

> does a build in 9min.  With ccache (nothing fancy -- apt-get install
> ccache, set CC/CXX variables), time drops to 1:50--3:00 min on
> average.

Depending on the hardware (development boards tend to be very sensitive and
the kernel very raw), things that you take for granted are not that simple.

For example, ccache raised some I/O problems on some ARM dev boards, and
since we're always dealing with fresh hardware (sometimes pre-release), a
multitude of things will fail even before you get to LLVM.

Also, you don't need to do a 2-step bootstrap to catch warnings from
> gcc.  You also don't need a debug build, just an optimized one --
> since it is faster to link

Yes, this does make a big difference. Keep the assertions, leave the debug
symbols out. I believe this is the default CMake build type, but not the
configure one, so be careful.

Also, I got different failures with CMake and configure, so try both.
Again, development kernels/hardware, so not worthy reporting to the list
just yet.

cheers,
--renato