[LLVMdev] LoopVectorizer in OpenCL C work group autovectorization

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Fri Jan 25 12:38:42 PST 2013

Pekka,

I am in favor of adding metadata to control different aspects of vectorization, mainly for supporting user-level pargmas [1] but also for DSLs.
Before we start adding metadata to the IR we need to define the semantics of the tags. "Parallel_for" is too general. We also want to control vectorization factor, unroll factor, cost model, etc.

Doug Gregor suggested to add the metadata to the branch instruction of the latch block in the loop.

My main concern is that your approach for vectorizing OpenCL is wrong. OpenCL was designed for SPMD/outer-loop vectorization and any good OpenCL vectorizer should be able to vectorize 100% of the workloads.  The Loop Vectorizer vectorizes innermost loops only. It has a completely different cost model and legality checks. You also have no use for reduction variables, reverse iterators, etc. If all you are interested in is the widening of instructions then you can easily implement it.

- Nadav

[1] http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/vectorization-with-the-intel-compilers-part-i