[LLVMdev] LoopVectorizer in OpenCL C work group autovectorization

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Fri Jan 25 09:11:35 PST 2013

Hi Pekka,

> How I see it, the data parallel input simply makes the vectorizer's job
> easier (skip some of the legality checks) while reusing most of the
> implementation (e.g. cost estimation, unrolling decisions, the
> vector instruction formation itself, predication/if-conversion,
> speculative execution+blend, etc.).

What you need is outer loop vectorization while the loop vectorizer is an inner loop vectorizer.
If you decide to use the Loop Vectorizer then you won't be able to vectorize kernels that have inner loops or kernels that have barriers in them.
If you look at the AMD OpenCL SDK you will see that most of the workloads have barriers, inner loops.

Another problem that you may run into is 'early exits'.  In many kernels you will see something like  " if (get_global_id(0) > N) return; "

Not to mention that it will be very important for you to vectorize function calls. Vectorization needs to happen before inlining because you don't want to vectorize a cloud of instructions when you can convert a single function call.  Think about image samplers or slightly more complex builtins that have control flow in them.