[LLVMdev] RFC: Improving our DWARF (and ELF) emission testing capabilities

Robinson, Paul Paul.Robinson at am.sony.com
Tue Jan 22 15:01:04 PST 2013

Eric Christopher [echristo at gmail.com] wrote:

>>> The problem is that if no one is working on testing these sorts of things
>>> with llvm-dwarfdump then it won't be maintained for this purpose.
>>>
>>> See
>>> elf-dump and people not expanding/fixing bugs in llvm-objdump and using that
>>> for tests.
>>>
>> Can you clarify/elaborate on this last sentence?
>>
> Sure. People are updating, modifying and adding new tests that use
> elf-dump and not updating, modifying or fixing llvm-objdump to test the
> same thing.

Speaking as a relative newbie, I don't see any way to know that elf-dump
is deprecated in favor of llvm-objdump; neither of them are mentioned
anywhere on the website.  Nor is llvm-dwarfdump for that matter.
D'you think there could be some mention of these on the Command Guide
or Testing Infrastructure Guide pages?
http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/index.html
http://llvm.org/docs/TestingGuide.html
(Yeah, yeah, I know, "patches welcome.")

--paulr