[LLVMdev] LLD vs LLVM coding style...

Matt Arsenault arsenm2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:55:31 PST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 15:36 , Nick Kledzik <kledzik at apple.com> wrote:

> The LLVM convention for naming variables is poor.   You'd be hard pressed to find any other C++ coding conventions that start variables with a uppercase letter.

I've found it difficult to deal with this since I don't think any of the automated formatting tools can intelligently, nicely format this for you. It isn't sufficient to simply uppercase  the first letter automatically, since it probably isn't what you want. For example if you have a lower case variable name that is an acronym for something (which I've found to be very common in LLVM related code, e.g. TM, for TargetMachine), a tool would have to be smart enough to know that it is an acronym in context and then fully uppercase it instead of just the first letter.