[LLVMdev] mips16 whitepaper

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon Jan 21 16:49:35 PST 2013

On 01/21/2013 03:28 PM, Sean Silva wrote:
> Please add this to <http://llvm.org/docs/CompilerWriterInfo.html>
> (docs/CompilerWriterInfo.rst)
>
> -- Sean Silva
I will. I owe a very long mips16 write up , especially for floating
point when I'm done.
It's very complicated the way they implemented hard float in gcc and it
is not documented.
It took me some thinking and study to unravel it all. They do different
things for pic/non pic
and the interoperability with mips32 is what makes in complicated.

I have come up with another totally different way to implement floating
point in mips16 which I hope
to have time to do in the future. It's probably about 2 months work but
management wants me
to do this gcc way first.

My alternate design is a more true floating point implementation as
opposed to the gcc method which is more or less a variant of soft-float
which uses different runtime routines but it has a lot of complications
with mips32 interoperability whereas my scheme has none of these issues
and does not need any special helper functions.