[LLVMdev] Testing canaries

Izabela Maffra izabelakarennina at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:37:40 PST 2013

Dear LLVMers,

    I am trying to measure the performance overhead (if any) of the
canaries that clang inserts in the code. I would like to do this
automatically, using the LLVM test infra-structure. However, I am not sure
if that is possible. Could someone tell me which flags in the
TEST.nightly.Makefile script, (or any other script) I must change to have
this done? Usually I insert canaries with the following command line:

$> clang -S -fstack-protector hello.c

But I would like to know which part of LLVM calls the pass that inserts the
canaries. It seems it is llc, as the pass that inserts the canaries is in
/lib/CodeGen/StackProtector.cpp. Yet, I cannot see 'fstack-protector' in
the llc --help list, although I can see 'stack-protector-buffer-size' in
llc --help.

Sincerely,

--
Izabela Maffra.

*Ciência da Computação
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
(31) 8615-3077*

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali