[LLVMdev] LLD vs LLVM coding style...

Nick Kledzik kledzik at apple.com
Sun Jan 20 20:42:58 PST 2013

On Jan 19, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Sean Silva wrote:
> I'm not sure if you're planning on this, but it would be awesome to
> dogfood a clang tool which will migrate e.g. variable names
> automatically to the LLVM style. Writing+using such a tool will
> possibly be easier than manual rename for the task at hand (LLD's
> codebase is not super big yet, so maybe not), and may prove useful in
> the future in other situations

I think a migrator is a short term, backwards looking fix.  I think a better approach is a forward looking enhancement to clang that would be a way to describe the project's conventions to the compiler.  It seems like every company/project has different conventions.  By enabling projects to state their conventions, the compiler can warn when a convention is not being followed.  This will make submitting conforming patches way easier, so reviewers can concentrate on  algorithms and future proofing rather than "whitespace".

-Nick