[LLVMdev] Inconsistent label syntax in LLVM assembly

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Sun Jan 20 04:46:15 PST 2013

Hi Duncan

>>>  br i1 %38, label %17, label %39
>>> ; <label>:39                                      ; preds = %._crit_edge
>>>  ret void
>>>
>>> However, ";" is a comment-line character. How is this interpreted, as a
>>> meta-comment? (a semantically important comment)?
>>
>> it's just a comment and has no semantic comment.  You can delete
>> it, it won't make any difference.
>
> OK. However, in this case, how is the branch resolved? I mean that
> there is no obvious %39 label declared in the LLVM translation unit.

I can see that there is a certain convention; e.g. %39 is the assumed
(implicit) label, if the %38 is the last defined temporary at that
point of the function body.

So, I guess that if the following basic block has no explicit label,
it acquires one by generating a new temporary. This is my deduction;
I'm not sure it is correct though.

Best regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias