[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

David Chisnall david.chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 04:55:56 PST 2013

On 9 Jan 2013, at 19:56, Chris Lattner wrote:

> Can you make this more concrete for me?  If we made this change in LLVM 3.3, what version of Clang would you need us to be compatible with?  Would it be ok to require Clang 3.1 or later, or do you need clang 3.0 support?

We currently ship 3.0 in 9.0, which is (theoretically, at least) EOL in two months and 3.1 with 9.1, which just shipped.  Once the miscompilation of __builtin_eh_return() issue is fixed, we will likely ship a patched 3.2 in 9.2, which is due in the next couple of months (but given how much 9.1 slipped... who knows).

The other problem is likely to be bootstrapping from 8.4 (7.x is likely to be unsupported, but 8.4 or possibly 8.5 will still be supported platforms for us when 10.0 is released), and these don't have clang at all, by default.  That said, we can possibly simply not support (or support via some external toolchain mechanism) source upgrades from 8.x to 10.x (or require an intermediate step via 9.x).

David