[LLVMdev] Obsolete PTX is NOT completely removed in 3.2 release

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:51:34 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Pawel Wodnicki <root at 32bitmicro.com> wrote:

> On 1/11/2013 2:40 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 09:33:17PM +0100, Benjamin Kramer wrote:

> >> r172208
> >
> > I finally updated the FreeBSD ports yesterday and today a user
> > complained about distfile changes.  IMO, this revision should be
> > reverted or all the other BSDs will have to chase checksums as
> > well.
> >
> > If you really want to remove the directory, ship a 3.2.1 tarball
> > rather than screwing all the downstream consumers who's
> > infrastructure exists to detect trojan'd tarballs.
>
> Tarball is signed, it is not trjoan.
> Your infrastructure should be able to deal with it?

Many of these environments rely on checking against a known-good checksum.
If a tarball is replaced at the source, that checksum changes.  Once a
release is cut, that particular release should never change.  If a change
is necessary, some sort of point release (3.2.1) is preferable, so anyone
wanting 3.2 still gets the old binary with the old checksum.

--

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski