[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Jan 11 11:29:07 PST 2013

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

> Based on the discussion in this thread my proposal is this:
>
> - LLVM 3.3 (~April/May 2013) has no C++'11 in it.
> - Limited C++'11 language features becomes ok after the 3.3 release branches.
> - We limit ourselves to the intersection of features supported by MSVC 2010, GCC 4.5, and Clang 3.1.
> - Down the road we can reevaluate and bump up the minimums when it makes sense.
>
> Does that seem reasonable - or at least acceptable - for everyone?

Given that the only IMHO significant C++11 additions in gcc 4.6 are
range-based for and constexpr and that MSVC 10 doesn't have range-based
for, I think this is perfectly acceptable.  I would like to see us allow
range-based for as soon as reaonsably possible though.  It would be nice
to have a roadmap to know what that will be coming.

We might want to have a web page stating which pieces of C++11 will be
allowed.  Something like the g++ C++11 feature list would be nice.
Otherwise I fear people will look at the feature list for their compiler
and assume they can use anything supported.

                             -David