[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri Jan 11 07:53:05 PST 2013

Justin Holewinski <justin.holewinski at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> The problem child, so to speak, is Windows.  I
> strongly suggest that support for MSVC *not* be dropped.

Oh! thank you!

:-)

Seriously, I don't see LLVM dropping MSVC support as long as the project
exists.

> There are many users out there relying on this support. That said, I
> think MSVC 2010 is a reasonable target, at least for 3.3. And then
> perhaps move to MSVC 2012 for 3.4. That should allow for enough time
> for users to upgrade.
>
> So, can we limit ourselves to MSVC 2010-level support for 3.3?

Make that 3.4, at least (that's a year from now.)

Sorry for my blunt response on my previous message, but it seems that
some *nix types think that upgrading VS versions is more or less the
same as going from GCC 4.x to 4.x+1, and that MinGW is a viable
replacement for every Windows C++ project. They are so wrong on both
accounts.