[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Jan 10 13:54:57 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Justin Holewinski <
justin.holewinski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Justin Holewinski
>> <justin.holewinski at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It's not speculation, it's asking for references to information.  If
>> there
>> > was interpretation, then I would agree.  But there is not.
>>
>> The only place it could possibly lead is a discussion of legal issues
>> around llvm/clang, which are not on-topic for this list.
>> If ya'll want to have a private discussion about it, go ahead.
>> But don't do it here.
>>

> No, I was asking for a reference, not legal advice.  If it turns into a
> legal debate, *then* it's off topic.  If I have to start a private
> conversation for every piece of information I want, what is the point of
> community conversations like these?

It is, indeed, off topic. Danny is completely correct here.

The fact is that legal speculation, information, references, or anything
else *will* lead to a discussion, which shouldn't take place here. If you
want such information and to understand it, you should discuss it with a
lawyer.

This mailing list is for technical discussion. Let's keep it that way.

If you want to continue debating the semantics of this or whether or not to
discuss it on this list (something that seems a truly pointless meta
discussion), I'm asking you to take even that debate off the list so that
we can remain focused on the original question: C++11 features in LLVM and
Clang.