[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Jan 9 12:43:27 PST 2013

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

>>> Wow, requiring GCC 4.7 would be really aggressive, it was just
>>> released in March 2012. Call me conservative, but I was thinking that
>>> a reasonable GCC baseline would be GCC 4.4 or something (which is ~3.5
>>> years old).
>>
>> The feature intersection of GCC 4.4 and VS2010 leaves us with auto and
>> static_assert.

Add to that decltype, r-value references (first draft spec for gcc,
second draft for VS2010) and deduced return types.

> Ok, that's too minor to be worth the trouble. Would the intersection
> of GCC 4.5 VS2010 be practical?

Lambdas, local and unnamed types as template arguments.

Range-based for-loops require GCC 4.6 and VS2012. Support for variadic
templates is no problem for GCC since 4.4, but it is in alpha stage for
VS.