[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jan 9 03:07:26 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:

> David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> MSVC 2010 as the baseline precludes
> >> you primarily from the following features:
>
> [snip]
>
> > variadic templates
>
> Irrelevant. The LLVM project discourages any non-trivial use of
> templates.

I'm not sure why you say this.

We have a fake form of variadic templates because we wanted them so badly.

We have many non-trivial templates where they make sense and provide
value... I mean, we certainly avoid them when not appropriate or when
ethere are other, simpler solutions... :: shrug ::

On the other hand, there are trivial uses of variadic templates too, so I
think we could still make the argument that they're handy to have.