[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

greened at obbligato.org greened at obbligato.org
Tue Jan 8 20:39:42 PST 2013

Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> writes:

> It's mostly about only changing one thing at a time.  It's already
> possible to build LLVM in C++'11 mode and with a C++'11 library.
> Adding a dependency to *require* C++'11 compiler and/or C++'11 library
> are two orthogonal changes, and I'd like to tackle them one at a time.

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

> Wow, requiring GCC 4.7 would be really aggressive, it was just
> released in March 2012.  Call me conservative, but I was thinking that
> a reasonable GCC baseline would be GCC 4.4 or something (which is ~3.5
> years old).

Whatever supports a reasonable set of C++11.  I was just throwing out a
strawman.

Not even 4.6 supports template aliases and that's a rather nice feature.
Still, it's not critical.  Delegating and inheriting constructors fall
under the same category, I think.

Range-based for is not in 4.5 and I'd definitely want to have that.

                           -David