[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:23:18 PST 2013

On 1/8/2013 8:30 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> Wow, requiring GCC 4.7 would be really aggressive, it was just
> released in March 2012. Call me conservative, but I was thinking that
> a reasonable GCC baseline would be GCC 4.4 or something (which is ~3.5
> years old).

On considering which versions get you various C++11 goodies, I'd
personally recommend gcc 4.5 as the baseline: that's when you can start
using lambdas and atomics (and a few other unicode goodies, but MSVC has
yet to support those anyways, so the point is fully moot). Anything
older than gcc 4.4 loses you most of the C++11 features. MSVC 2010 as
the baseline precludes you primarily from the following features:
* raw, user, unicode string literals
* enum class [that's 2012]
* alignment support
* extra constructor features