[LLVMdev] Using C++'11 language features in LLVM itself

Peter Newman peter at uformia.com
Tue Jan 8 20:09:30 PST 2013

>> One other specific problem with this is that (I'm told) MSVC 2010 doesn't support range-based for loops.  I don't think it is reasonable to require windows users to be on MSVC 2012.  :-(
> I suspect you're right about that, but I'd appreciate if some MSVC
> users would speak up here. We shouldn't hold back on using range-based
> for loops if all our MSVC users are happy to move to MSVC 2012
> (assuming no problems with other platforms).

For our works project, we are still stuck on MSVC 2005 and MSVC 2010
(our software is a binary plugin to established products). Admittedly,
we are still sitting on LLVM 2.8 with patches from 2.9 (2.9 wouldn't
compile in MSVC 2010 for x64) . We want to move to current LLVM (not
least for the NVPTX and AMDIL targets), but have not yet had the
available man hours to do so.

Peter N