[LLVMdev] Inline asm bug?

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Tue Jan 8 14:28:08 PST 2013

On 1/8/2013 4:24 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:

> It's kind of weird... inline asm hooks into the compiler at a low
> level, so think of it this way: alias analysis queries the "memory"
> clobber, but dead code elimination ignores the clobber list.  You're
> right, this makes absolutely no sense from the user's perspective.

Ok, this sheds some light on it.

Given that the "memory" clobber in the original example had no effect, I
am assuming that this is indeed a bug.  Am I correct?  The problem there
is that the load from G has been lost during translation to MI, so I'm
assuming that this is something that the clobber should have prevented.

I have a local patch for it that I can submit here for review.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation