[LLVMdev] Profile Test Failures

Alastair Murray alastairmurray42 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:26:44 PST 2013

Hi David,

You don't say which tests are failing, but they are probably ones I
wrote (not many use libprofile_rt.so).

On 08/01/13 11:18, dag at cray.com wrote:
> I'm trying to validate some changes to send to trunk and I'm getting a
> bunch of test failures like this:
>
>   Error opening
>   '/ptmp/dag/build/llvm/staging/debug/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so':
>   /ptmp/dag/build/llvm/staging/debug/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so:
>   cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> Indeed there is no libprofile_rt.so.  When I build from trunk, I don't
> see these errors and I don't see anything in the build that talks about
> profiling at all.

I just updated and did a clean recompile and I do have a
libprofile_rt.so ($BUILD/Debug+Asserts/lib/libprofile_rt.so).  Perhaps
the configure changes have stopped it from being compiled.

> In contrast, in the tree with changes I see things like:
>
> llvm[2]: Compiling PathProfileInfo.cpp for Debug+Asserts build

That file is also compiled for me on trunk.  It does not actually relate
to libprofile_rt.so (in the current context).  This is probably obvious,
but: libprofile_rt.so is the runtime library that provides the functions
that the profiling instrumentation code inserts calls to.

Given that libprofile is the only library in the 'runtime' folder it
could well be the only thing which would be affected by a related
configure change.