[LLVMdev] ARM failures

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 08:58:16 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 8 January 2013 16:44, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Usually the best way to get traction on such things is to reply to the
>> commit that caused the regression. Whoever broke things is usually
>> more invested in making sure the change is solid (& doesn't get
>> reverted).
>

> Hi David,
>
> Good point. The build bot is broken for a while and I assumed the person who
> did that commit would spot it better than I would,

If the bot isn't configured to send fail-mail to the blame list,
people probably won't notice. That's how the buildmaster/bots ended up
in the rather multicolored state they are in now.

> but I shouldn't have
> assumed that the person would receive my email.

They'll no-doubt get your email (everyone with commit rights should be
on the dev list) but might not read it soon, nor realize it was their
commit that caused the failure. (either because they don't remember
that particular test file change, or think someone else might've
touched it, etc)

> I'll try to point the commit
> and re-send, copying the author.

Specifically replying to the -commits mailing that committed the break
is the most useful - it provides the context & keeps the discussion
close to the code that it's related to.

> Sorry for the noise.

Not a problem. Good that people are looking at these things (& I've
done the same thing you've done here in the past - because I had no
idea what broke & I wanted to see if anyone had ideas/cared).

Are you the owner (or at least a strongly invested party) in this bot,
or just interested in getting bots green generally? Do you know who
the owner is?

- David