[LLVMdev] Test Suite - Livermore Loops

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Mon Jan 7 13:46:33 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
> > To weigh in here...
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> +Daniel & Michael who work on the LNT infrastructure & might have some
> >> thoughts on the differences & their merits & motivations.

> >> Thanks for the investigation.

> all
> options
> >>
> >> Sounds quite plausible.

> using
> expect
> what

> >> Part of the issue here is whether or not the Make-based execution is
> >> still maintained/valued. I'm getting the impression that the LNT
> >> execution may be already, or be becoming, the standard way to run the
> >> test suite even when not gathering perf statistics. Michael/Daniel -
> >> is that the case?
> >

> > Well, the distinction isn't really between LNT and non-LNT, its between
> the
> > TEST=nightly and TEST=simple style supported by the Makefiles. LNT uses
> the
> > TEST=simple style and that is all I care to support.
>
> Fair enough, though that's sort of what I was getting at in a way:
> whatever way LNT is driving the test-suite is, essentially, the only
> supported way. Sure we can have non-LNT bots (not ideal, perhaps -
> still another path to maintain/possibly diverge by accident) but they
> certainly shouldn't be using anything other than the way LNT uses the
> test-suite (ie: TEST=simple).
>
> Can we kill TEST=nightly, then, since it's just an
> untested/unsupported trap? Or do you know of users that have a need
> for this?

It's untested, but as supported as anything else (I try not to break it,
and will fix bugs in it).

And yes, there are still users that use this regularly. Most of that is
probably habit among old-school LLVMers, but it's still useful when you
want to do direct A/B testing of optimizer changes (support for things like
OPTBETA and LLCBETA), or when you want to test a change without requiring a
compiler rebuild.

For example, we still don't have very good support in the compiler for
tweaking various parts of the compilation process (for example, running
with a custom pass list), so the easiest way to test addition of a new pass
may still be using TEST=nightly.

My natural tendency is towards "if it isn't broke, don't kill it", and not
to try and remove it until we have a new separate way of running the test
suite outside of the Makefiles.

> > Historically, the old way of testing (TEST=nightly) used the various LLVM
> > tools to effect a compilation because there weren't compilers that
> worked.
> > However, this is a bad way to "test" the product that most users actually
> > care about, which is the compiler.
> >
> > With TEST=simple, all the compilation is done using the compiler just as
> an
> > end user would. If you want LTO, the right way to get it is to use the
> > compilers support for LTO. This is how we test LTO internally. I've never
> > tried to get LTO working on Linux, but it should be possible using the
> gold
> > plugin and passing the right compiler options.
> >
> >> If so, should we rip out the direct Make execution, or do something to
> >> otherwise warn/disable it?
> >

> > Per my other thread polling users of the test-suite, there are still
> people
> > who use the Makefiles to do more custom things. I personally would love
> > deprecate them completely, but they do support some useful workflows.
> >
> > My ideal would be:
> > 1. Migrate LNT to drive the test-suite using a more sane mechanism (not a
> > glob of Makefiles). I would like the "more sane mechanism" to be
> lit-based.
> > 2. Maybe do some work to make using lit to drive the test-suite more
> > convenient and hopefully support some of the useful workflows the
> Makefiles
> > support with less of the crap.
> > 3. Deprecate the Makefiles, or at least let the die through lack of
> > maintenance.
> >
> > Does that answer the parts you wanted my input on?
>
> More or less, I suppose I wouldn't mind an opinion on the "should we
> kill off/migrate bots from test-suite invocation to LNT?" issue too.
> (my assumption is that your answer to that is "yes", but just want to
> be clear)

Yes, definitely.

 - Daniel