[LLVMdev] Will LLVM be suitable for developing valgrind like tools

Peter Boström pbos at kth.se
Mon Jan 7 08:21:26 PST 2013

Depends on what you mean by Valgrind-like tools. Valgrind itself is a
dynamic binary instrumentation framework, and not an error detector.
Valgrind instruments code in run-time.

If you're referring to the commonly used Memcheck tool (default tool),
then AddressSanitizer[1], a memory-error detector is implemented in
clang (-f-address-sanitizer), and detects out-of-bounds errors, use
after free and some others.

- Peter

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/address-sanitizer/wiki/AddressSanitizer